Fangames of particularly high quality, especially those that might otherwise be lost, are listed here.
Fans make amazing game remakes or spinoffs of their own. Unfortunately, companies (especially Nintendo) has the right to remove infringing content. But is it ethical? We record and archive them anyway.
A game developer that remixes classic games with interesting twists.
- Mari0 - Super Mario Bros with Portals...
- Not Tetris 2 - Tetris without the grid...
- Not Pacman - Pacman without the joystick...
- Waluigi's Revenge 2 - Game starring Waluigi--currently unknown where first game is at. (https://archive.org/details/WaluigiRevenge2Game)
- No Mario's Sky - A Mario fangame based on the infamous 'No Man's Sky' game. It received a DMCA takedown notice from Nintendo in September 2016 and has since then been changed to 'DMCA Sky'. Archive here: http://archive.org/details/NoMariosSkyGame
These inspired works play similarly to some genres of games, but have taken on their own route with their own characters and storyline.
- VA-11 HALL-A - A cyberpunk work of bartender action that looks like it could have been released on a Japanese home computer.
- Unfortunately for PC-98 enthusiasts, "The waifu thing is just an epic prank to make people buy this game."
- Undertale - An emotionally gripping 2D RPG where you try not to kill your opponents.
- did someone say earthbound
- Mother 4 (in progress) - A fan imagining of a EarthBound/Mother 3 sequel, with tremendously high quality in graphics and sound.
- The Great Gatsby (NES) - Game over, old sport. Just like the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for NES, how would you go about turning a literary classic into a platforming NES game? Well, nature... finds a way.