Began as a small crack team that worked on AnonOS/Cherimoya/Newfag's Guide to Anonymous.
Another branch went to revive the Encyclopedia Dramatica.
The first major wiki to archive data from 4chan. It actually called itself "WikiChan", but everyone referred to it by it's URL name.
Etherchan closed on January 2007. Here are some archived pages:
In this thread, the EtherChan sysop announces the closure of Etherchan. Much of the content made it to Wikichan and Tanasinn.info, through the work of Halcy.
- 1,500 Snapshots Archived by Internet Archive - Unfortunately, most of these are failed snaps.
- Main Page - States that there were 1,095 articles by the time of it's closure :( . Some of it may have made it into Wikichan and Tanasinn.info though.
- Popular Pages - 50 of the most popular pages.
- 4-ch Pages
- NPoV Policy
- Anime Episode Announcements - This page loves Haruhi just as much as /a/ used to.
Since most of the pages are just short definitions, we should probably put together a scraper to grab a list of all pages from the API, download the pages, then scrape out the article body data out of it, which would turn it into little quotable fortunes. Hell, it could be a single serving site:
- Get a list of all pages here from the Internet Archive API.
- Search for all
<div id="content">using Python's BeautifulSoup. Dump them into <article> .html pages.
- Enumerate a list of all article titles.
- 2006 4chan Board Guide
- Linksys Support Raid - An early 4chan raid. Might also be extant at ED, and I might have a copy.
- Category: Chatlogs
- Incest-chan - Newly rediscovered story!
- Etherchan Copypasta Archive - June 2006 Snapshot.
- Copypasta Instructions
- Halcy's Snapshot - November 2006 snapshot.
- 4chan Copypasta
- Who the hell do you think I am
- Tentacle Rape Article - Informative, I guess?
- 4chan Party Van - LOL JK
- Cockmongler Image Archive - A massive archive of this classic man.
- Macrochan - I'll suck your - Amazing that macrochan is still around after all these years. Good thing we archived it.
- Macrochan - Cockmongler
- DQN Category
- Really Long Song - Crowdsourced lyrics at 4-ch.net.
- ( ´ω`) - A grandfatherly face that sagely answers all your questions. Has an associated thread at 4-ch.
- under the moon loli to issho - A strange phrase that has something to do with this weird emoticon family.
- Skunki - Dude what
- Etherchan's Imageboard Listing - Might be the only extant reference to many imageboard sites.
- /a/ - On 4Chan, the /a/ (for Suzumiya H/a/ruhi) imageboard hosts discussion about Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, but since /a/ users are quite tolerant about off-topic threads, you can also talk about any other anime or manga you want. (Sometimes, there are actually more off-topic threads than Haruhiism-related threads)
- /b/ is a popular imageboard on quite a few websites, including 2Chan, 4Chan, IIchan, and WhateverObscureWebsightNobodyHeardAboutEndingWithChan. It is about posting random pictures of various things. On 4Chan's /b/, there is an unusual amount of faggotery, furries and peMySql Connection Failure
- Halcy's Kopipe - Contains important archives of much of Etherchan's best important pages.
- Stalking Haruhi Suzumiya - Where were the background scenes in Haruhi modeled after?
- List of Notification Boxes - These are the most hilarious notification boxes ever. Inherited by Tanasinn.info.
Etherchan is succeeded in name by Tanasinn.info, a wiki apparently kept alive by Halcy and other textboard enthusiasts. The owner of the etherchan.org domain apparently owns the modern Tanasinn.info.