The Bibliotheca Anonoma is a research task force archiving, documenting, and safeguarding *Internet Folklife*.
Focus topics include Something Awful, 2channel, 4chan, and other imageboard/textboard communities.
About this Wiki
This wiki is a Semantic Wiki that ties together all the knowledge of this organization into a Semantic web. It differs from other wikis in the use of forms and tables to produce a metadata database that guides users (and robots) to the information they seek.
Treasures of Internet Folklife, archived and showcased for the general public.
- Stories - The folk stories of the internet, some stretching into long, sprawling epics.
- Art - The Internet allows even the most obscure artist to reach dedicated fans anywhere, and utilize their skills in unique ways.
- History - Internet History from our perspective.
- Books - Freely editable books and guides with lots of useful information.
- Collections - Assorted data archives.
- Website Archives - Archived Websites under our care.
- IRC channel -
irc.rizon.net #bibanon- The IRC channel is the primary control room for the Bibliotheca Anonoma, and meets daily. Feel free to drop in, contribute anything, or even join anytime.
- Discord - Alternatively, if you can’t get the hang of IRC, jump in our Discord, a modern chat client. All messages here are synced with IRC using a Discord/IRC bridge.
- BAnonoma Twitter - We usually post quick announcements here.
- Just edit this wiki anytime, anywhere. Follow the Wiki Design Principles.
- If you just need to drop off new stories/content, jump in our IRC or Discord chat, we can help research and put it together as a wikipage.
- The Bibliotheca Anonoma uses a Kanban Board system, to coordinate our projects. It’s publicly viewable (and commentable), so monitor our progress there.
- The Workroom contains a large stack of stories we’re still reviewing. You can comment on it, track our progress, even help out.
- The Storehouse contains files deemed critical for archival, but still under review. We tossed them into Google Drive for now.
- The Internet Archive holds most of our critically important treasures, from entire website backups to a Git backup of this wiki.
- Stay on the lookout for pages that may have fallen by the wayside, are in need of maintenance, or are orphaned. Place pages [
Images that are an integral part of an article are allowed to be . This includes photos, tables, diagrams, figures, and charts. Since this utilizes Amazon S3 for file hosting, we advise that you use this option sparingly.
Images that are screencaps or of other importance in their own right should be posted to booru.eikonos.org instead. It has more space and fewer bandwidth restrictions.
There is a unique exception to allow images from imgur.com to be embedded. However, whenever possible, either Eikonos or this wiki's own image hosting instead.
Articles about the Bibliotheca Anonoma itself.
- Bibliotheca Anonoma - What is the Bibliotheca Anonoma?
- History of the Bibliotheca Anonoma - The Bibliotheca Anonoma has had a long and storied history since it’s first git commit date in January 18th, 2012.
- 2012-2014 - In the early days of the Bibliotheca Anonoma, it was a one man operation with some contributions from random anons. This is the time where the Bibliotheca Anonoma wiki was built on Github.
- 2014-2016 - Once the BA set up an IRC and Discord channel, we began to gather more members and accomplish more things. The BA also put its full efforts into keeping 4chan archivers active, though admittedly the Github wiki became disused as a result.
- Current - A strong community, significant reforms, and new infrastructure typify the modern Bibliotheca Anonoma. The Github wiki was once critical to our operations, but became disused as the Gollum wiki engine failed to match our growing needs over the years. As a result, the Semantic wiki you see here was developed as a replacement.
Archived data yet to be analyzed and packaged.
- Trello Boards - The latest data we’ve obtained is held in these kanban boards for transparency.
- Content to Import - Trello board
Services that make the Bibliotheca Anonoma possible.
- Group Chat - Group communication systems utilized by the Bibliotheca Anonoma.
- Wiki - The structure of this very wiki, which is the core of our organization.
- Kanban Board - The Kanban Board system helps team members make sense of tasks and goals.
- Eikonos - An image tag system based on Moebooru/Danbooru to organize and help make 4chan/imageboard screencaps easier to search through.
- Proposals - Ideas for building new types of infrastructure.
Tips and tricks on how to archive the way we do.
- Link Scouting - The first step is to search for interesting content around the internet.
- Internet Archive Upload - The next step is to upload to the Internet Archive.
- Archival Tools - Tools we use to archive online data.
- Archival Mediums - Hardware or services used to store archived data, such as the Internet Archive, or our own LTO-4 tapes.
Programs developed by the Bibliotheca Anonoma.
- Code - Programs developed by the Bibliotheca Anonoma to assist our archival work.
The Bibliotheca Anonoma Software Liquidation Commission (BASLQC) is a task force dedicated to archiving and optimizing software past and present, as well as maintaining associated hardware. Additional tasks encompass research into further mods, as well as technically complex translation projects.
- Computing - Preserving retro computing hardware, as well as providing guides to certain types of modern hardware.
- Keyboards - A good keyboard is worth as much as a good monitor: because you should be spending the most on the part of the computer you actually touch. Computers have now been flooded with lackluster rubber domes, but gaming enthusiasts have revived the concept of the the premium Mechanical Keyboard.
- IBM Buckling Spring Keyboard - The king of all keyboards, as seen in the IBM Model M keyboard, the newer Lexmark and Unicomp versions, and IBM/Lexmark Wheelwriter Typewriters.
- Typewriters - Guides to operating and maintaining certain typewriters, primarily the IBM Wheelwriter series.
- IBM Wheelwriter - The IBM/Lexmark Wheelwriter are the last great typewriters. Their electronic buckling spring keyboards (akin to the IBM Model M), as well as relatively minimal mechanical parts make them durable and usable to this day. Their word processing capability, character correction, and reprint features make them more accessible to modern typists.
- Kantai Collection - Kantai Collection is a naval strategy game popular in Asia, their equivalent of "fantasy football".
- Kantai Collection/Vita - The Kantai Collection Vita game is significant for it's ability to be dumped, and the fact that it is programmed in Unity. With the release of Vitamin/MaiDumpTool, this allows translation to non-Japanese languages, as well as deeper code analysis and even a possible port to PC.
- Hosting - Server hosting tips from our resident experienced sysadmin, Sunako.
The EternalArchive Project is an organization set on archiving and digitizing cultural works from various language groups.
Team members meet at #eternalarchive on irc.rizon.net .
The organization has various roles:
- EternalArchive/Solutions - Think Tank for figuring out how to archive a tremendous wealth of data safely and cheaply.
- EternalArchive/Discovery - Figuring out what content to archive and whether it is worth saving.
- EternalArchive/Acquisition - Acquisition of the cultural works from various sources, through totally legal means :^).
- EternalArchive/Archival - Infra